Monday, February 23, 2015

Mr. Diaz(s)+

It should have never been your story Mr. White.


Last night I got to see McFarland USA with a few running friends from local run groups here in LA. All of us were not white. In fact, one friend noted we were all Mexican expect for Jerone. Not true. I’m not. I’m Guatemalan. Full Guatemalan. Instead of politely correcting her. The 6th grader within me gave her two middle fingers. Don’t worry we are still friends.


With an incredible trailer, we all had high hopes for McFarland USA and had been talking about it for months via Fauxbook. The film opened with Mr. White entering a locker room full of  white high school football team. And just like that it was over. We were set up to see how Mr. White was fated to meet a group of marginalized students from McFarland, CA that needed saving. Which is fine. Because there could be truth in that. I grew up in the Central Valley. I played sports. I had male saviors. White and Mexican. Coaches that gave their entire selves financially and otherwise to inspire me and my teammates to glory. Based on a true story, Disney showed us Mr. White was the only possible vehicle to present a story of a hard working and dedicated Mexican high school cross-country team.


There is one particular moment that solidifies the entire film for me. That beautiful moment when Mr. White points directly at the camera isn’t what you think it is. You are made to feel that he is pointing at you? His team? But he’s pointing at the scoreboard. A quantified representation of defying the odds and rising above. Such a let down. We aren’t worthy unless we are on the scoreboard. We aren’t worthy until the White man says. Or in this case, points.


As for casting, Kevin Costner was the only able person to portray Mr. White. Because Kevin Costner is from the Central Valley! Not true. In the 7th grade, Matthew Cheney told me his dad went to Mt. Whitney High School with Kevin Costner. Costner attended for less than a year. And I trust my source.

At the end of the day, I’m glad this story was told. A story of the American Dream, unfortunately told through blue eyes. Not brown.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Californian, NOT American...